Monday 26 March 2007

What Moves You (Part II)

This is the 2nd post in the series. Click here for the 1st.

Ty and Nat started talking about a conversation they had a while ago with some bigwigs up in Portland. They were having dinner with said bigwigs when everyone started going around the table and describing what drove them through life. Natalie’s driving force was change. This didn’t surprise me.

I first met Natalie and Tyrone immediately after the Ralph Nader campaign in 2000. We were fresh, young idealists, and change was in the air. We shared a vision – one where people lived in tune with the environment and in tune with each other - and we firmly believed with a little bit of hard work, we could make it happen. We had no idea how much the odds were stacked against us, but the cold, hard door of reality slammed in our faces quickly enough. Years later, we’re no longer the fresh, young idealists we used to be. “I wouldn’t bet on it,” Natalie said, referring to the change we all hoped for, “but I still believe it could happen, and that’s what keeps me going.”

I knew Tyrone’s answer before he even said it – compassion. Tyrone’s a reader, a thinker, a philosopher – an Eastern philosopher to be exact. Mixed between Natalie’s copy of Marx’s Kapital, and various offerings by Noam Chomsky, you’ll find books by The Dali Lama, Ken Wilbur, and other Eastern-type philosophers. Those are Tyrone’s. But my knowledge of his answer came from more than that. Tyrone and I are alike in a lot of ways – not all ways, but many – especially in matters of the mind and spirit.

Then, like I hoped they would, like I knew they would, they asked what drove me. “Whew, that’s a good question,” I said looking away, taking a deep breath, trying to concentrate. I knew the answer, but how to put it into words??? So, I just jumped in. “I want to feel alive. I want to feel everything,” I said thinking for a moment, “but then sometimes it all gets to be too much, and I don’t want to feel anything.” They were looking at me intensely. So I went on. “And it changes from day to day. Sometimes I’m driven by selfish desires and other times they’re more altruistic, and I can feel those forces inside me struggling all the time.” I took a deep breath again. My heart was pounding, my blood was pumping, my skin tingling. Tyrone and Natalie were nodding their heads in agreement – egging me on. “What I really want is freedom. I want to live in a world where people can be free to be who they really are without worrying about what others think, where people don’t have to be afraid to be different. I guess what I really want is a world where people don’t judge each other so harshly.” I looked at them, and they looked at me, and there was nothing more to say. At that moment, there were no more questions to answer, no more fears to slay, no more doubts to vanquish.

“Conformity,” Tyrone said and I knew he understood. We all knew. We knew because our answers were just different ways of saying the same thing. Where there is compassion, there is no judgment. Judgment can only occur when you separate yourself from someone or something, and if you have compassion, you cannot separate. As the Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus or any wise man or any wise woman would say, that’s when you become one. And I have to believe in a world where that’s possible. I have to believe in change. Because if I didn’t, I really wouldn’t see any point in anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment